Guest and crew medical care for minor to major emergency situations as well as the general medical care of all crew members including preventative medicine and care of chronic conditions while reporting necessary cases to the different port and health authorities of the different ports of call.
NATURE AND SCOPE
• The Ship s Doctor position is considered to be a Senior Management position, as such, the behavior on board the ship must be impeccable and characterized by courteous treatment of guest and crew. The decorum outside the Medical Center must be of the highest standards. Excessive alcohol intake is unacceptable.
• The Senior Doctor and Doctor shall alternate after-hours on-call duties and cover for each other during shore leave, or as otherwise required by the Staff Captain.
• The incumbent must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment; also, must be able to adjust to changes in schedules, assignments and deadlines.
• The Doctor makes a commitment to our company that he or she is competent to handle the medical situations that can be expected to arise abroad a cruise ship.
• Reports directly to the Senior Doctor, and for medically related issues, reports directly to the Director of Medical Operations or the Chief Medical Officer.
• Serves as advisor to the Master and Staff Captain on all matters related to Medical Center services, Guest, and Crewmember health matters and hygienic conditions onboard the vessel.
• Holds a Basic Safety Course Certificate and appropriate licenses and certificates as required by regulations.
• Responds to all codes on board the ship even when off duty.
• Oversee inventory of medical supplies and monitors hospital budget. The Doctor, together with the rest of the medical team, is responsible for the annual budgeting of the Medical Center s consumable supplies and medications.
• Oversee the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy. At least once a month or when there is a change in medical staff, a drug count shall be held, which the Staff Captain or the Chief Security Officer shall be present to verify.
• Assists the Safety Manager, in the orientation of new Crewmembers as to safety and personal hygiene.
• The Doctor shall stay in close contact with the Director of Medical Operations and Chief Medical Officer as necessary and for all medically related methods and practices.
• Medical Degree from a recognized College or University is required.
• Active, current medical license in good standing in Country or State/Province of origin is required.
• Completion of a recognized Medical specialty training program is required, in at least one of the following: Emergency Medicine, General Practice, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, or General Surgery.
• BLS,Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and Adult Trauma Life Support certifications that are valid for the entire length of the contract on board the ship.
• At least 3 years of experience in Emergency or Critical Care outside of Residency